A matter of clean soil
With an unbeaten track record of our clean-ups with respect to remedial goals, timely manner, budget and safety, we are proud to offer you tailored, effective and robust remediation solutions.
Kruger Soil Remediation’s experience within soil and groundwater remediation started in the early 1980’s where we have been designing and operating remediation systems like Pump & Treat, Soil Vapor Extraction, Air Sparging, Bioslurping/ Multiphase Extraction, excavation, Chemical Oxidation. However, for the last 15 years our focus has been at In Situ Thermal Soil Remediation specializing in electrical Thermal Conductive Heating and Steam Injection, which have demonstrated to be the most reliable and robust methods to treat even very demanding compounds and challenging sites, at the same time being safe, cost-effective and sustainable.
Kruger Soil Remediation provides :
- In-situ remediation of contaminated land by means of Thermal Conductive Heating (TCH) and/or Steam Enhanced Extraction (SEE)
- Laboratory treatability test of your soil samples in our lab - an inexpensive validation tool to support your remedy plan
- Pilot projects for sites where you want proof of concept before full scale remedy
- Solutions for online monitoring and data processing
What can we help you with?
- Reach very low clean up criteria in soil and groundwater
- Clean-up soil & ground water below buildings and in delicate urban settings
- Remove source zone/hotspot contamination
- Remove deeply spread contaminations
- Avoid excavation, disposal and any contact with contaminated soil
- Provide you with a realistic evaluation of which results can be achieved
We have successful and well-documented references:
- In all types of geological settings, ranging from sand, clay and all the way to crystalline rock
- From terrain and to 50 meters below the terrain
- All organic compounds, from light boiling vinyl chloride and benzene to high boiling compounds like chlorobenzene, lindane, dioxin, etc.
- Mercury (incl. different species as elementary, methylated, mercury sulfide etc.)
- Thermal remediation above and below the water table
Watch this 3-min video to see how we apply heat in a thorough, robust and predictable way to ensure strong results far below clean-up criteria. You can see our projects performed in different settings, geologies and countries and understand the process behind.
Heat it all the way
A key to success within thermal soil remediation is the ability to apply heat in a thorough, robust and predictable way. If you are not able to “heat it all the way” the chances for failure is increasing. For that reason we have chosen to work with two main technologies:
- Thermal Conductive Heating (TCH)
In all its simplicity it is about transferring energy into the subsoil by thermal conduction. Heating of all kind of soils are highly predictable and efficient because the thermal conduction for the entire range of soils is almost equal. This allows uniform heating and effective remediation of fine-grained material like clay, silt as well as inhomogeneous deposits and even bedrock.
Thermal conduction this is the only heating technology that can heat the subsurface from low to high temperatures and hence treat a very broad specter of contaminants from VC to PAH, PCB and Dioxin.
Using electrical powered heater elements installed in traditional steel borings we are able to supply these with energy from renewable sources like wind- or hydro energy. Furthermore the electrical system deliver the energy to the subsurface with almost 100% efficiency.
We have since 2006 chosen to work with TerraTherm Inc. using their patented heating technology. We believe that TerraTherm’s approach to the thermal soil remediation is in line with our vision.
- Steam Enhanced Extraction
At some sites there are portions of the sites that are very permeable and water yielding.
Whenever sites have high water yielding aquifers there might be challenges with reaching the treatment temperature because the flowing water removes more energy than injected. This is where we either use or supply the heating techniques with Steam Enhanced Extraction (SEE).
With SEE it is possible to inject significant more energy from fewer wells. With SEE you are even capable of creating a steam bubble that stops water from flowing into the treatment zone. Since SEE relies on hydraulic conduction it is more challenging and hence it is important to have the expertise and knowledge with hydrogeology to design and implement the technology. Combining TCH and SEE gives the most robust and successful thermal remediation approach capable of handling almost all situations.
IS THERMAL REMEDIATION THE RIGHT SOLUTION FOR MY SITE?
Almost any site containing organic contaminants can be treated with thermal soil remediation to stringent cleanup criteria in contradiction to many other in situ technologies relying on hydraulic permeability. However a lot of sites do not require thermal remediation to reach the site specific goals and hence less effective technologies can be implemented.
Due to the speed of thermal soil remediation it is essential to monitor performance and compare against design values and expectations. This means collecting large amount of data from online sensors, field- and lab measures etc. To handle all these data and give a perfect overview we have developed the VSurvey suite of software solutions.
VSurvey collects all data no matter of origin in a cloud based database. This gives the user the ability to plot all measured data against each other and hence understand the different trends and see any related connections between data.
With just an internet connection our clients and consultants can gain access to this power full tool. We called it transparent remediation.