A combination of the membrane and activated sludge technologies, it is possible to treat black, grey and gantry wastewaters together with pre-treated (de-oiled) bilge water in one reactor system.
NEW TECHNOLOGY FOR THE TREATMENT OF SHIP WASTEWATERS
With the Memrod™ process, a combination of the membrane and activated sludge technologies, it is possible to treat black, grey and gantry wastewaters together with pre-treated (de-oiled) bilge water in one reactor system. The process cleans the wastewater to a level significantly below the effluent values specified in the regulations (MARPOL, Annex IV) of the International Maritime Organization (IMO) and even meets the Alaska standards.
SAILING ON THE RIGHT COURSE WITH MEMROD™
Memrod™ stands for Membrane Reactor Operation Device. The process is based on a combination of a classic aerobic activated sludge system and low-pressure membranes submerged in the activated sludge tank, which permanently retain the biomass, thus ensuring safe operation of the wastewater treatment system in all sea conditions.
The cleaning process is two-stage: biological degradation of contaminants and mechanical retention of all solids by the membrane barrier. The biological degradation of the organic water constituents, measured based on COD and BOD5, takes place in the activated sludge tank under aerobic conditions.
E-Mail : [email protected]
Contracts for as many as 15 plants have so far been awarded to Krüger, most of which have already been put into operation. Memrod™ systems are used for a wide variety of ship types ranging from marine ships to ferry boats and luxury mega yachts.
MEMROD LT™ - Performance Characteristics
- Extensive BOD5 and nitrogen removal due to high sludge age
- Very low excess sludge production thanks to high sludge age
- No need for a secondary settling tank due to the use of membranes
- Solids-free effluent
- Complete retention of biomass in the activated sludge tank
- No need for the disinfection stage normally required in other processes
- Compact design, adapted to the conditions on ships
- Very low energy consumption due to the low pressure difference of 0.6 bar maximum across the membranes
- Low capital outlay and low operating costs plus low-maintenance operation
- Ease of operation due to fully automatic control systems
- No odour emissions
- Permanent availability due to the use of membranes
- Self-cleaning membrane surfaces due to rising air bubbles
- Stable cleaning performance, even with varying influx condition
|Memrod™ Performance Overview (Effluent Values)|
|Filtrable substances||not detectable||mg/l|
|Faecal coliforms||not detectable||/100 ml|