The Rapide Strata™ deionisers produce high purity water for a wide range of industrial applications.
Key Features & Benefits
- Regeneration in 30-80 minutes; minimizes down time, enhances bacterial control, improves chemical usage efficiencies
- Duplex operation mode for continuous water production and increased production capacity
- Control system Siemens PLC and Touch Screen HMI; facilitates monitoring and operation (Allen-Bradley available on request)
- Continuous conductivity monitor with auto service shut-off and alarm; ensures water quality
- Continual, intermittent or zero recirculation of water when tank reaches high point; operational flexibility
- Skid-mounted, standardized systems; short lead times, quick installation and start-up
- High and medium pressure boiler feed
- Surface finishing
- General industry
RAPIDE STRATA+ MODEL
- Integrated polishing device (Hipol™)
- Produces water exceeding Ph Eur and USP conductivity requirements
Extended Regeneration Option
- Removes need for separate post treatment
- Capable of producing water with <20 ppb of reactive silica; suitable for high and medium pressure boiler-feed
- Produces water of <0.1 μs/cm; polishing RO water (Strata+ Model)
As well as addressing the needs of general industry, Rapide Strata™ and Rapide Strata™ + deionizers meet the specific needs of the following markets through the provision of high purity water.
Water is by far the largest volume raw material used in the manufacture of pharmaceuticals, toiletries and cosmetics. High purity water from Rapide™ Strata can be used for:
- Product dilution
- Contact lens manufacturing
Rapide™ Strata produces high purity water that can be used for:
- Diluting surface treatment chemicals. The water must be free of dissolved minerals, gases and organics in order to avoid adverse reactions that can reduce their efficiency and effectiveness and result in higher usage rates and running costs.
- Rinsing. The water must be free of impurities that lead to unsightly stains and deposits.
- Avoiding paint adhesion problems. In automotive and general finishing processes the presence of silicone can impair the adhesion of paint to surfaces.*
*Rapide™ Strata silicon free manufacturing option.
BOILER FEED WATER
High purity water generated by Rapide™ Strata can be used for boiler feed (including medium and high pressure boilers). Helping to reduce or avoid problems such as:
- Build up of deposits ; reducing heat transfer and contributing to higher fuel costs and more frequent blowdowns.
- Corrosion of pipework, joints, etc. ; higher maintenance costs and increased risk of failure.
- Silica contamination within steam ; when used to drive a turbine, silica deposits can form on the blades reducing efficiency, increasing operating costs and potentially provoking catastrophic failure.
- General industry
Local after-sales service and support teams offer preventative and corrective maintenance programs to ensure the long-term, efficient operation of installed plant.
Pulp & Paper Australia
Amcor Petrie Demineralisation System, QLD
Capacity 18 m3/hr
Cartonboard mill producing clay coasted cartonboard, used primarily in the production of printed folded carton. Amcor Petrie has an annual production of 140,000 tonnes of cartonboard, using recycled waste paper.
Veolia Water Technologies was awarded the contract for the upgrade of the Petrie Cartonboard Mill with a Rapide Strata 18 deionisation systems to augment boiler make up on site, treating water from Brisbane mains.
Power Plant - UK
SELCHP, Energy from waste, Lewisham
SELCHP is an energy from waste (EFW) facility in Lewisham, London, operated by Veolia Environmental Services. The plant incinerates up to 420,000 tonnes annually of household waste. The heat from the incinerator produces 395°C superheated steam in 46bar water tube boilers. This steam drives a turbine which generates 35MW of electricity for export to the National Grid. The exhaust steam is condensed in air cooled condensers and returned to the boiler via a deaerator where demineralised make-up water is added to replace steam and water losses.
The on-site make-up demineralisation plant had been installed in 1993. It was limited in output to 10m3/h and operated for about eight hours between regenerations. After boiler shut down they have to refill the boiler with 120m3 of demineralised water. With 80m3 production between regenerations and the long regeneration time this could take up to a day. A replacement plant was required to deliver high purity water meeting a 0.1µS/cm conductivity and 20µg/l silica specification.
Veolia's solution was a two-stream Rapide Strata™+ 18m3/h packaged deioniser system together with conductivity, pH and silica monitoring, PLC controller and HMI. The two streams operate as duty and standby but, when demand is high, both can run together to deliver 36m3/h. When demand for make-up water is low and the treated water tank is full, the duty unit automatically switches to recycle mode. Recycle operates for 20 minutes every two hours and keeps the resin beds in good condition as well as polishing the water in the treated water tank to maintain quality.
The short regeneration time of the Rapide Strata™ + means that the boiler can be back in service 6-8 hours earlier and, with boiler down time costing about £4,000 per hour in lost revenue, that is a saving of around £30,000.
Food & Beverage - Philippines
The world's leading nutrition, health and wellness company
To optimize the delivery, installation time and reliability of the plant, the solution offered is based on a combination of Veolia standard proprietary technologies:
- Rapide Strata™ - The Rapide Strata™ twin-bed deionizers produce high purity water for a range of industrial applications. The unique design offers savings of up to 40% on running and effluent costs compared to conventional ion-exchange systems. Regeneration in 30-45 minutes using SCION technology minimizes downtime, enhances bacterial control and improves chemical usage efficiencies.
- Berkal™ - The Berkal™ disc filtration systems remove contaminants such as fibers, grit, sand and algae. They are also compact and have high flow and retention capacities.
- Sirion™ Mega - Sirion™ Mega RO system produce high purity water, removing up to 98% of dissolved inorganics and over 99% of large dissolved organics, colloids and particles. The low energy membranes used also result in lower operating pressures, which allow cost savings.
- 100% recovery for the 10m3/hr RO Unit
- 90% recovery for the entire process water treatment plant
- Recognized as the most resource efficient process water plant factory in the Philippines
This range of reverse osmosis systems removes over 95% of dissolved salts from water.
Ionsoft™ Softeners commercial and industrial water softeners provide high quality softened water for a wide range of applications.
Compact continuous electro-deionisation units to produce high purity water
MARKETS & APPLICATIONS:
There are many industrial processes in which the presence of any dissolved salts in water can cause problems. Removing all the dissolved salts from water is called deionisation or demineralisation. Processes that need high purity water include: High pressure boilers, Chemical manufacture, Toiletries and cosmetics production, Humidification systems, Battery top-up, Surface finishing, etc.
For industrial processes requiring high purity water, the most widely used purification technology is twin bed ion exchange deionisation. The ion exchange resins are contained in two separate pressure vessels and flow through them in series. Raw water enters the cation exchange vessel and passes down through the resin bed where calcium, magnesium, sodium and other cations are removed from the water in exchange for hydrogen ions. The water then passes through the anion exchange vessel where chloride, sulfate, bicarbonate and other anions are removed in exchange for hydroxide ions. When the hydrogen and hydroxide ions on the resins have been replaced by the cations and anions from the water, the deionisation reaction stops and the resins need to be regenerated.
Increased capacity and lower chemical usage means more treated water per litre of chemical and hence lower operating costs compared to conventional solutions. Rapide Strata™ challenges conventional thinking about ion exchange.
- PLC controlled
- Facia mounted display with 5 language options
- Continuous conductivity monitor with auto service shut off and alarm
- Minimal operator involvement
- Optimal regeneration sequence
- Continual, intermittent or zero recirculation of water when tank reaches high level point
Stratified anion bed
- Highly efficient removal of organics; can tolerate up to twice as many organics in the feedwater than conventional solutions.
- Combination of anion resins increases capacity and results in higher quality treated water.
Pulse regeneration sequence
- Excellent chemical efficiencies compared to conventional solutions. Rapide Strata™ uses 20% less chemicals per m3 of treated water (40% less for Rapide Strata™+).
- Greater removal of impurities and improved resistance to chemical and physical fouling compared to traditional solutions.
Short cycle ion exchange
- Regeneration in 30 to 45 minutes ; maximizes production time
- Reduction in treated water storage requirements
- Minimal waste handling
- Increases bacterial control
Counter current regeneration
- Highly efficient use of chemicals