Veolia Water Technologies MPP Systems has developed a one step process that will remove both dissolved and dispersed hydrocarbons from water.
Macro Porous Polymer Extraction (MPPE) can reduce organic concentrations in contaminated water from thousands of ppm to low ppb levels in order to meet discharge limits. These turnkey systems offer guaranteed performance at fixed annual costs.
- Offshore gas/condensate/(F)LNG produced water
- Shale oil and shale gas produced water
- Oil & gas downstream
- Chemical/Specialty chemical
- Electronic Industries
The MPPE technology is applied in water streams where toxic constituents are present. Therefore the main applications are in:
- Offshore Gas/condensate/(F)LNG produced water
- Shale oil/ shale gas produced water
- Industrial waste and process water
- Groundwater Remediation
Basically the MPPE technology removes the toxic content of the water streams and creates a discharge that is Zero Harmful to the environment.
In Onshore (waste-, process-, groundwater) and near shore applications very often additional BOD/COD requirements limits are required by local legislation. In such situations the MPPE technology is combined with a tailor made bio treatment to achieve the total BOD/COD discharge requirements at most competitive costs.
Where ever possible we aim at combining both, waste- and groundwater treatment in one MPPE unit. In real life the toxic hydrocarbons that are present in the wastewater are very often also present in the groundwater due to historical spills. In this way the investment into one MPPE unit can be optimized.
Gas/Condensate/ (F)LNG Produced Water
MPPE for Zero Harmful Discharge
MPPE removes dissolved and dispersed toxic hydrocarbons:
- Aliphatic (dispersed oil)
- Aromatic (BTEX)
- Polyaromatics (PAHs)
- NPD (Naphtalenes, Phenanthrenes, Dibenzothiophenes)
- Toxic (Hydrophobic) constituents of field chemicals (e.g. inhibitors)
100% water and hydrocarbon recovery:
- Separated hydrocarbons practically pure for (re)use
- No waste stream/sludge formation
Robust and can withstand:
- Salt, methanol, glycols
- Corrosion inhibitors
- Scale inhibitors
- H2S scavengers
- Defoamers etc.
- Dissolved (heavy) metals
Industries: Gas (F)LNG worldwide
MPPE is applied in countries with aware environmental legislations. Currently MPPE units are operating in the North East Atlantic (OSPAR area), Norway, The Netherlands, and Australia.
Clients: Shell, NAM (Shell/Exxon), Total, Statoil, Woodside, INPEX
- Statoil (Shell) Ormen Lange and Statoil Kollsnes (all Norway)
- Woodside PLUTO, Shell FLNG Prelude, Inpex Ichthys (all Australia)
Industrial Waste and Process Water
Removal of total spectrum of non-polar and polar hydrocarbons proven in practice:
- MPPE removes toxic, non-polar, non biodegradable compounds, aromatics, poly aromatics, halogenated, chlorinated, PCBs, THT (TetraHydroTiophene), Dioxins, CS2 etc.
- Folowed by biotreatment removing polar biodegradable compounds
- Optional: UF and/or activated carbon filtration and RO for reuse as process or boiler feed water
- Small footprint
- Upstream integrated operation with remote control
- Scope for adding other waste- and groundwater streams for simultaneous treatment in one MPPE unit
- Reduced sludge formation in biotreatment
- Modular set up for large flows (thousands of m3/h)
Industries: Onshore treatment of offshore natural gas/condensate production, LNG /gas to liquid plants, shale oil/gas produced water onshore, refineries, underground gas storage, chemical, specialty chemical and pharmaceutical (raw) material producers, chemicals/oil storage distribution industry, resin production, electornics industry, rayon/viscose industry
Clients: Gaz de France, Dow Chemical/LBC, Degussa-Hüls/Evonik, Merck Sharp&Dome, Philips, Dupont, Total-Chemicals, Synthexim, Orgasynth, Vermilion, Albemarle
Toxic hydrocarbons in groundwater can be found dissolved in water diffused over the area. At higher concentrations they can be present as DNAPLs (dense non-aqueous-phase liquids) or LNAPLS (light non-aqueous-phase liquids) creating an enduring source of toxic contaminant supply to the water phase.
- Ideal for handling a broad range of toxic hydrocarbons (e.g. aromatics, PAHs, chlorinated/halogenated, PCBs, MTBE)
- Able to cope with unexpected higher inlet compositions at no additional costs
- No iron removal needed (anaerobic process)
- Robust, can withstand e.g. Salts, humic acids, surfactants, heavy metals, dissolved/suspended solids, high/low pH etc.
- No sludge formation (as with iron removal andbiotreatment)
- Scope for combination with other ground- and also waste water streams in one unit
- Has been succesfully applied in surfactant and alcohol
Enhanced of DNAPLs and LNAPLs (SEAR = Surfactant
Enhanced Acquifer Remediation).
Industries: oil & gas, chemical, specialty chemical, pharmaceutical, coatings resins, coal
Clients: Dow Chemical, LBC, Synthexim, German Government, Vermilion, Schering Ploughundwater Remediation
Macro Porous Polymer Extraction (MPPE) is a highly effective technology for removing dissolved and dispersed hydrocarbons from water by means of liquid-liquid extraction.
The extraction liquid is immobilized in MPP particles applied in a packed bed.
The MPPE system is fully automated, remote controlled with a guaranteed separation performance for the operational life of the unit.
MPPE Process Description
In the MPPE process, water containing hydrocarbons is passed through a column packed with MPPE particles. The Macro Porous Polymer particles contain a specific extraction liquid.
The immobilized extraction liquid removes the hydrocarbons from the water. Only the hydrocarbons, which have an afinity for the extraction liquid, are removed. The purified water can then either be reused or discharged.
Periodical insitu regeneration of the extraction liquid is accomplished by stripping the hydrocarbons with low-pressure steam. The stripped hydrocarbons and steam are condensed and the hydrocarbons are separated from the water phase by gravity.
The almost 100% pure hydrocarbons phase is recovered, removed from the system and ready for use/reuse. The aqueous phase (condensed steam) is recycled within the system. The application of two columns allow continuous operation with simultaneous extraction and regeneration. A typical cycle is one hour of extraction and one hour of regeneration.
- High and guaranteed separation performance
• Separation performance independent of inlet concentration
• Robust against:
o Corrosion and scale inhibitors, H2S scavengers, biocides, surfactants etc.
o Peak loads
- Inlet flexibility while maintaining outlet requirements
• 10% lower flow rate allows 50% higher inlet concentration
• Lower inlet concentration allows higher flow
- Operational flexibility
• Capacity turn down/up ratio 0 to 100%
o Batch wise operation possible (e.g. 8 hours/day)
o Immediate performance at start up
- 100% water and hydrocarbon recovery
• Separated hydrocarbons practically 100% pure for (re)use
• No waste stream
• Air emission
Removed by MPPE
- PAHs (Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
Benzo (b) flouranthene
Benzo (k) flouranthene
Benzo (ghi) perylene
Benzo (a) pyrene
Ideno (1,2,3-cd) pyrene
- Dichloroethane (1,1&1,2)
Gasoline Range Organics (GROs, C7- C10)
Diesel Range Organics (DROs, C11-C27)
Tetrahydrotiophene (gas odour)
Ongoing performance guarantee for the whole operational lifetime of the MPPE unit
The delivery of the MPPE unit goes with an ongoing Performance Guarantee with related Services (PGS).
This Performance Guarantee & related Service (PGS) package includes the use and periodical exchange of the MPPE material and separation performance guarantee for the operational life of the MPPE unit with supporting services (e.g. 25-50 years).
Information for Quotation
Proceed within one week
Basic information required:
- Based on some basic information we can give you a price indication
- Basic information required:
- Inlet composition
- Outlet composition
- Flow rate
- Non/availability of steam
- If further information is required laboratory and/or field test can be carried out
Laboratory tests can be carried out with samples from water to be treated.
- Target compounds to be removed
Based on laboratory tests the suitability of MPPE can be concluded as well as sizes and cost estimates for given flow rates and separation performances required.
- Possible effects of other constituents (water environment)
Quite often clients have perceived dangers for non performance due to other constituents in the water. Many tests have been carried out for evaluating these possible effects.
Field Test On Site Offshore and Onshore
Full evaluation of the MPPE technology under real-life circumstances is possible with our mobile MPPE units.
- Plug and play (electricity and inlet water)
- Fully automated
- Remote controlled by internet
- Obtained data representative for scale up
- 24/7 operation (one week can be sufficient)
- Various flows, waterstreams, compositions can be tested.
- Including preparation, start up, training and reporting