Andrea Aliscioni COO Milan Water Service, MM SpA, reveals ’The main characteristics of Nosedo Plant is the big volume of water treated that is reused for agriculture; Nosedo WWTP is one of the best examples of water reuse in Europe. Our challenge is to guarantee every time the best condition for the water reuse.‘
That is why wastewater is treated ‘not only according to environmental directives, but also for the possibility to have a circular use of the water’ explains Francesca Pizza, process manager at Nosedo WWTP.
Hubgrade Performance is a holistic digital solution composed of asuite of intelligent software solutions for real-time optimization of process performance. It provides a state-of-the-art auto-pilot to optimize the whole wastewater system, including sewer network and treatment plant.
Hubgrade Performance focuses on real-time automated optimization of the consumption of energy and chemicals, biological and hydraulic capacity enhancement, stable operation and compliance of wastewater treatment plants and sewer networks.
Why Hubgrade Performance: deciding factors
- Having a system that can integrate the operation of the sewer system and the WWTP.
- Obtain significant total average operational savings from reduced energy consumption, chemical consumption and sludge production.
- Better handling of the large biological load variations together with a better process overview and less manual adjustments.
- Achieve more hydraulic capacity of the biological process, giving a better handling of wet weather situations.
- Future plans include the possibility of expanding the solution to also cover the whole Milan city sewer system
Additional client benefits
- SMART Bio-P: Introduction of significant biological phosphorus removal in existing process volumes in a WWTP not designed for it
One of the most significant challenges WWTPs have to face is, according to Francesca Pizza, gaining as much control as possible of the biochemical process. With 40% of the total plant energy consumption, it is ‘the most demanding [process] from an energy point of view’.
Hubgrade Performance allows ‘Operators [to] have an instrument to make real time decisions on the process’ Francesca Pizza, process manager in Nosedo WWTP says.
- OPEX savings (approx. 630k€/year):
○ Energy savings:
- Biology: 25% red.
- 0.431 -> 0.323 kWh/kg CODrem considering the sum of the consumption of the following sections:
- Return activated sludge
- Grit Chamber aeration:9% red.
○ Chemical savings:
- P-precipitation, FeCl3: 80% red.
- 3.01 -> 0.69 kg FeCl3/kg Prem
○ Chemical sludge production:
- 126 tSS/year red. due to less precipitant
- Increased hydraulic capacity during wet weather: 20 - 30%
- Stable operation, less manual adjustment
The Plant package for OPEX savings at Nosedo WWTP (1,250,000 PE) includes the following features:
- DO & Nitrogen Removal
- Mixer (denitrification tank)
- Air Supply, Blowers
- Return Activated Sludge
- Solids Retention Time
- Standby (biological lines)
- Grit Chamber Aeration
The following additional features will further support the enhancement of the hydraulic capacity:
- Stormwater Mode with Rain Gauge / Sewer Measurements
- Max. Flow, inlet biology
Nosedo Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP) is Milan’s main wastewater treatment plant. It has a capacity of 1,250,000 PE with full nitrification and denitrification and is the largest plant in Europe having up to the 70% effluent fully for agricultural purposes.
- 432.000 m3 treated a day
- 5 m3/s treated during dry weather
- 15 m3/s during rainy events
- 60% to 70% of the treated water is directed to agriculture