Recycled water to reduce the drinking water demand in an international financial district
TRK City Sdn Bhd, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
TRX City Sdn Bhd is a state-owned Malaysian company that is committed to promote and develop sustainable initiaves in Malaysia, in line with the goals of the Government’s Economic Transformation Programme to turn Malaysia into a high income economy by 2020 (KL2020).
This mixed-use development in the heart of Kuala Lumpur, will encompass the prestigious Tun Razak Exchange (TRX) Project, a new international financial district underpinned by world-class residential, retail, leisure and cultural offerings.
The client’s needs
The client wanted the TRX Project to be designed with environmental sustainability in mind and will apply cutting-edge technologies to reach targets such as 40% reduction in carbon emissions (in line with KL2020 objectives), 70% waste diverted from landfill and 50% reduction in total fresh water demand compared to conventional development. Minimizing water consumption was a key sustainability driver for TRX, along with efforts to better waste water treatment practices. TRX City decided that all buildings would utilise water-efficient fittings to further reduce demands. All non potable water would be supplied with recycled water produced on-site via an advanced wastewater treatment.
Veolia Water Technologies was chosen to design the TRX recycling plant. To reach the required targets, the plant combines five key technologies :
- Multiflo™ : to produce a highly concentrated and thickened sludge required for the wastewater treatment process and to handle different water characteristics and loads.
- AnoxKaldnes™ MBBR technology to stabilize the discharge quality while removing chemical oxygen demand (COD), biochemical oxygen demand (BOD), and nitrogen present in the wastewater.
- Hydrotech Discfilter for effluent polishing with a very small footprint
- Alizair for a complete removal of unpleasant emissions
- Endetec Kapta to provide a continuous monitoring of network quality parameters
The Recycled Water plant was designed to treat 13,300 m3 of wastewater every day that is at least 80% of the 3.8 million m3 generated each year. Recycled Water price is fixed at 25% discount to potable water tarif for the duration of the contract (20 years).
The project has been acknowledged by Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (“LEED”) Gold Certification for the “Neighbourhood Development Plan” category certified by the United States of America Green Building Council (“LEED Certification”); and the first township level Green Building Index (“GBI”) Platinum Certification in Malaysia by the Malaysia Green Building Index Accreditation Panel (“GBI Certification”).