Client Recovers $5 Million in coal after coal pile runoff pond volume reduction
The Client's Needs
The Client contracted Veolia for the rental of an ACTIFLO® TURBO trailer (capable of 1200+ GPM) coupled with HYDREX™ chemicals. Veolia was also awarded an operations contract, offering the Client a hands-off approach.
Key to the overall success of the project, Hydrex™ chemicals supplied a blend of two coagulants and a flocculant / polymer needed with the microsand.
- Type of contract: Solutions & Operations
- 50 million gallons of water at instantaneous flow of 500-1000 GPM treated
- Processes: ACTIFLO® TURBO and Hydrex™ chemicals
ACTIFLO® TURBO process description and system performance
|Flow Rate||25-125 m3/h|
|Softening Mode (Actiflo Soft)||40 m3/h|
|Typical Clarification Rate||80 m3/h|
|Carbon Filtration Mode (Actifloc Carb)||40 m3/h|
|Inlet Connection||DN 150mm PN16|
|Outlet Connection||DN 200mm PN16|
|Sludge Connection||DN 80mm PN16|
|Electrical Type||125A ; 400V ; 3 phases + earth + neutral|
ResultsVeolia treated over 50 million gallons of water in clarification mode; at instantaneous flows of 500 – 1000 GPM. The pilot indicated rise rates > 40 GPM/ ft2 were achievable; however, in the full-scale, the client did not have a feed pump big enough to provide more than 30 GPM/ ft2 ~ 1000 GPM. The cost of treatment using ACTIFLO® rental, Hydrex™ chemicals and the operations, was similar to typical sewer rates in the US.
- Recovery of approximately $5,000,000 USD in coal from the basin / pond once the pond level was brought down.
- Ensured compliance with the plant’s required effluent quality.