Discfilters treat up to 2725m³/h (12,000 gpm) of secondary sewage for cooling water
Following a successful site visit, the Client contracted Veolia for the treatment of up to 2725m³/h (12,000 gpm) of sewage plant effluent for cooling tower make-up. Three of our largest frame discfilters will be retrofitted into existing competitors media filter concrete basins.
The Client’s NeedsIn 2012, Veolia advised the Client they would experience issues in their cooling towers if they continued to send the existing quality water to their towers. A 'champion' who worked for the Client, listened and had Veolia present our technology to their Team. We focused on discfilters. At that time we noted they were very likely to experience heat rate increases if they did not add tertiary filtration; especially if they use high efficiency fill in the cooling towers.
The power plant personnel wanted to do it, but needed headquarters to approve the funds. Shortly after the MW rating of the power plant was reduced, resulting in large revenue loss. The budget money was approved quickly.
Project & Technology SolutionsVeolia Industry reached out to our Municipal group to demonstrate to the Client the efficiency of our discfilters for the treatment of reclaim water. We searched for a site near the power station and took them to see a very satisfied Client. Following a successful site visit, the Client contracted Veolia for the treatment of up to 2725m³/h (12,000 gpm) of sewage plant effluent for cooling tower make-up. Three of our largest frame discfilters will be retrofitted into existing competitors media filter concrete basins.
Process DescriptionVeolia’s Hydrotech Discfilter process description and features
- Low cost gravity filtration
- Low power consumption
- Small footprint
- Continuous filtration
- High water recovery
- Gravity flow
- Low backwash rate (no large pumps or sumps required)
- Automatic backwash and flat panel design easy to keep clean
- Low installed cost (existing basins for frame design or flat pad for tank designs)
- With thousands of discfilter references, many installed on tertiary filtration in Municipal waste treatment, the Client was reassured by Veolia’s experience.
- The discfilters will allow an ultimate improvement in cooling tower operation and heat rate, increasing the efficiency of the power unit. This is not only a major financial gain but also a positive step to sustainability. Energy efficiency is often part of a Power generator's sustainability goals- including this corporation.